What is .Net? Microsoft .Net is a platform to develop software. Now you may ask me then whats the difference between .Net and any other platform. The answer is in Microsoft .Net, the file produced by the compiler is not an executable binary instead it is an assembly which contains metadata and intermediate language code. This assembly is called as Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) or simply IL. So, the difference between the normal executable binary and IL is that IL supports common type system and multiple languages in the same platform.
That's it, now you know what is .Net and whats the difference between the compilation process of .Net and any other platform. But, I am not satisfied so I will try to go on with my explanation.
There are many key objectives fulfilled by .Net Framework, so I want you to look into those :
1. Microsoft .Net Framework provides a consistent object oriented programming whether the object code can be stored locally and executed locally or executed remotely.
2. Microsoft .Net Framework provides a code-execution environment that minimizes software deployment efforts.
3. Microsoft .Net Framework provides a code-execution environment that promotes safe execution of code.
4. Microsoft .Net Framework provides a code-execution environment that eliminates the performance problems.
5. Microsoft .Net Framework makes developer life easier, so that he can be consistent whether he is developing Windows-based applications or Web-based applications.
I think this is enough to give you a brief Introduction on the .Net Platform.
Please Like and Share the Blog, if you find it interesting and helpful.